Friday 27 March 2020

Magical Mystery Tour.... [Chapter two-ish]

"Iris, what are you doing? Can you hear me?"

Douglas shook Iris's shoulder in an effort to wake her.

"What did you see? It's really important that you wake up now."

Iris lay on her bed, her eyes were open, staring at the ceiling, but she wasn't dead.

"Iris, FOR PITY'S SAKE WOMAN, what did you see? And when did you see it?"

Douglas thumped his fist against the wall and as he did so a framed print of Salvador Dali's Persistence of Memory fell to the floor. Douglas bent to pick it up [if nothing else he was always tidy] and as he did so he noticed that stored under Iris's bed was an impressive array of shoeboxes.

'Wow', thought Douglas, 'this is an impressive array of shoeboxes, but Iris always wears battered old brogues, how peculiar.'

Douglas stopped thinking and pulled out one of the shoeboxes, he opened it, and gasped for dramatic effect. The shoebox did not contain leopard print mules, as suggested by the picture on the lid of the box, but three bulging scrapbooks and 10 used notebooks of the school variety.

He opened a notebook, this was exactly the information Douglas was looking for. He looked up fondly towards the slender, brogue wearing woman still laying unconscious, yet wide eyed on the bed, "I knew I could rely on you Iris, I'm so sorry I referred to you as a wretched curtain twitcher in a previous post, you were always such a meticulous record keeper, even when we were trapped together in that underwater cavern for days on end without food, water, a cuddly toy, a toaster, or your favourite Beatles album, you still found a way to keep meticulous records. What a woman."

Douglas began to read Iris's last entry, as he read his eyebrows began knitting together like two hairy caterpillars trying to make a sweater. When Douglas had finished reading he had three important questions:-

1) WHO IS THE SHORT MAN IN THE PINK RABBIT ONSIE WITH THE BIG GUN? [Clue: He isn't Mr Short]
2) WHO IS THIS RENNIE CHARACTER? AND WHY DID IRIS NEED HIS HELP?
3) WHERE IS ANNIE?
4) WOULD HE GET TO HARWICH IN TIME?
5) SHOULD HE PLAY IRIS'S FAVOURITE BEATLES TUNE?
6) WOULD IRIS'S FAVOURITE BEATLES TUNE WAKE HER FROM HER OPEN-EYED SLUMBER?

So many questions...but, as in every good epic, only three are important...






7 comments:

  1. Blimey.
    Well, three cheers for Ms S then: hip hip ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I feel like a hairy caterpillar who doesn't know how to knit. Scarlet you have made it better. Na na na na ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill - Next time the caterpillars will knit a scarf, or something more impressive.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am both amused and intrigued - Jolly well done, Ms Scarlet!
    There are so many threads, and clues, and bits & bobs now that I am beginning to have an inkling of where I might go with this if only I can hold all my runaway thoughts down long enough to capture on the page.

    And get those thoughts under control before someone else (with a better grip on this) gets in before me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Devine - I was really proud of myself for doing this before looking at the news! As soon as I book at the news I'm a lost cause, so I think this is the way to go for me.
      I am looking forward to your post!! No pressure.
      Sxx

      Delete

Words of encouragement gratefully received!

Christmas adverts 2021

My favourite Christmas adverts this year.         Any other favourites?